Sunday 15 March 2009

Home



" When I was writing a column for 'Family Circle' I had planned one in praise of shabbiness. A house that does not have one worn comfy chair in it is soulless..one does not need to show off a house, only live in it, to make a true shelter and nurturing place for human needs. And that means not so much efficiency as life enhancement: a cat sitting on a table to look out, a bowl of flowering bulbs, books scattered about." May Sarton 'Journal of a Solitude'.

These words have been rolling around my head this week, as I smoothed half finished quilts over the backs of chairs, piled books we are reading on tables around us, stepped over toys, pinned paintings on our board. However much I long for more time to make our home tidy, I know that I want it to be a place where things are never really finished, where there is always the kind of excitement that comes from a game or project in process. I need this blog to help me treasure the disorder that living with two children and a baby brings and to help me dream more fully what nurture and shelter looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment