Wednesday 18 March 2009

5 minutes




If I think in old units of time, the kind of time I once had, before children, then I never have enough to do anything any more. And yet the things I love and have always loved are still in my life in ways that constantly surprise me. I knit, sew, cook, play even more than ever. Time has a new currency now. I seize it in tiny pieces that somehow do add up to something that satisfies. I make tiny five minute baskets full of materials that I can gaze at and play with when an unexpected moment arrives. They are everywhere in our house and offer just enough to knit a row, crochet a circle, play with some colours dream up an idea. Eventually, even if I don't know what they are as I hold them briefly, they become something.




This 'Fish Pond' blanket came together this week from many such moments playing with scraps of wool. I had just enough time to put it together last night to send to a friend's newborn baby. Just enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment