Sunday 29 March 2009

Battles




Whenever Mr Bird is away I suddenly feel the need to transform something. Perhaps just to prove that I can still do impossible things, perhaps just because I want to say "look at what I made!". The dressing up box often moves floors, whole rooms have been rearranged in the past. Sometimes I choose something less physical like a problem we've been trying to solve. I nearly applied myself to Mo's tendency to wake at 4 in the morning. I imagined myself saying " Oh, while you were away I persuaded our baby to sleep through the night. " I chose smaller battles. This time a fence went up in the garden so we can dream up a climbing garden in our tiny space, rare new toys appeared to create some play not based on films, and the high chair Mo endlessly threatens to escape from disappeared into the cellar. Sometimes I have twinges of jealousy when Mr Bird is out in the world making things happen. But not when what he calls the 'permanent revolution' in our house shows me that I still have the power to change things in the part of the world that matters most to me right now. (oh, and not when playing peepo or doing paper mache!) Round here, the queen is out in front.

No comments:

Post a Comment